Friday night/Saturday morning was the big event, where millions of users jumped on the bandwagon of claiming their Facebook usernames. Over 3 million names were registered in just 24 hours — that’s unreal!
A lot of people thought the website would crash, or lag, but it didn’t. It appears everything went smoothly without a hitch.
I was fortunate to get my name (Facebook.com/ChrisJacobson) without any hassles.
Mashable posted the top 15 silliest URLs that were claimed:
1. Mirror, mirror: http://www.facebook.com/moc.koobecaf.www
2. Coder: http://www.facebook.com/default.aspx
3. It would have been cooler with .html: http://www.facebook.com/index
4. Cat ran over my keyboard:
5. The entire QWERTY keyboard:
6. Try harder: http://www.facebook.com/aaaaaa
7. …that’s more like it: http://www.facebook.com/aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
8. …but still not as crazy as this one:
9. 4chan: http://www.facebook.com/marblecake
10. Keep dreaming: http://www.facebook.com/JackBauercouldwhoopChuckNorris
11. Nice try: http://www.facebook.com/usrname
13. Can you fix my Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/techsupport
14. I’m no stranger to love: http://www.facebook.com/rickroll
15. Someone had to do it: http://www.facebook.com/thecakeisalie
My favourite is the /index URL… hilarious! I’m sure we’ll see many other cool ones in the days to come. One thing I don’t get is why anyone would want any of those usernames for their personal account. After all, you can’t change your username and it’s forever. To each their own I guess.
Meanwhile, there was a bit of drama on Friday when some guy named Patrick Ruddell stole Facebook.com/ProBlogger from Darren Rowse (the real ProBlogger). There was a bit of an exchange of words on Twitter between the two, and I’m sure Darren will file a copyright complaint with Facebook to get the name for himself. Not very cool on behalf of Patrick.
Tweet This Post!